Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders

At 09:56 AM 7/16/2004 -0400, Watsky, Lance wrote:
Eric:

I agree with your definition of a professional, as someone who works with
wires daily, or at least with regularity, on mechanically
reliable/well-tuned equipment. However, it is important to understand that
we are in a profession where cost is not regulated. I was recently
reviewing a video preservation grant, and found very large differences in
the cost that vendors were charging.

The issue is the level of skill and, in this case, the quality of equipment and experience. One can operate at a professional level without being a professional, but determining that that is the case is very difficult in a matter such as this. Again, the critical parameter is the risk of destroying an irreplacable document. The professional in the field has equipment and experience which make that unlikely, where the rank amateur offers substantial risk of damage. Imperfect as the measure may be, the established company in the business of restoration is presumed to be more professional in that sense than an unknown individual.

I have developed some skill over the years in audio restoration and have a
sufficient set of tools and experience to do an acceptable job. Others whom
I respect (for other reasons) have found my work superior to that of some
established engineers, though I never charge for what I do. I remain an
amateur; they are professionals. The outsider without evidence would
logically turn to the pro and I will not argue with that choice.

Please note that there are several audio engineers in the fields of
interest to me who consistently turn out transfers far beyond what I can
do. They exploit resources I do not have, by far the most important of
which are their skill and art.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/