From:   Alex Hartov
Sent:   Sunday, July 11, 2004 7:24 PM
To:     ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders

Greetings all

I have about 20 wire spools that I would like to listen to and perhaps
transfer to a digital format.  I was told they were recorded on
equipment purchased from Sears at the time (early 40s).  I know very
little about such equipment.  My questions to the group are:

a) are there any working wire players available out there?

b) if a is negative, I could conceivably rig up something, are there
any specifications one can consult regarding such apparatus, or does
anyone know anything about the technology?  Displacement (in/sec),
magnetic strength, configuration of the reading/writing head?

Thank you all in advance

Alex Hartov, Ph.D.
Technical Director
Dartmouth Jewish Sound Archive