Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders

Hello ,

I have restored a vintage transport and installed modern playback electronics which is capable of producing a very fine transfer.

If you'd like to discuss this further , please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Robert Hodge
Audio Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University Library
rjhodge@xxxxxxx

>>> alex.hartov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 07/11/04 08:24PM >>>
Greetings all

I have about 20 wire spools that I would like to listen to and perhaps
transfer to a digital format.  I was told they were recorded on
equipment purchased from Sears at the time (early 40s).  I know very
little about such equipment.  My questions to the group are:

a) are there any working wire players available out there?

b) if a is negative, I could conceivably rig up something, are there
any specifications one can consult regarding such apparatus, or does
anyone know anything about the technology?  Displacement (in/sec),
magnetic strength, configuration of the reading/writing head?

Thank you all in advance

Alex Hartov, Ph.D.
Technical Director
Dartmouth Jewish Sound Archive