Re: [ARSCLIST] Mono CD transfer

At 10:22 PM 7/2/2004 -0400, Steven C. Barr wrote:

Reading this, I realize what the catch is (as compared to my "artificial
4-track" tape recordings of 78's. CD players have to know where each
"track" starts and ends, so they can jump to a specific song!

Two questions:

1) Does a "music" CD-R have to have the internal database as well in
order to be playable as music?

Yes. A bit of a refresher for most since some of the points may not be known to all.

The music on a CD-DA (homemade or commercial) is in the form of a
continuous stream of bits. There are no "files" on such a disc. There is a
directory which identifies the starting sector of each track. (There are
other data as well which are not relevant here.) Even if there is only one
track, there is a directory to it. (When you look at such a disc in
Explorer, you will see .CDA "files"; they are not real; they are an
artifice of the OS.)

2) Is there any way to defeat this feature?

No. You could write a file - but then you would have a real TOC.

Oh, and 2.1, which is more or less related...
Is there any way to view the byte content of a musical CD or CD-R?

I know of no tool for doing so. The closest you could come is a program such as CD/DVD Inspector which reports the contents of a CD-ROM by sector; I've not tried it with CD-DA. You can make an image but have three choices of which I'm aware:

1. ISO 9660 - for data only
2. BIN / CUE - which works with WAV files so is inappropriate
3. Use a proprietary format - which will not be readily interpreted

Note that the 'other data' above include subchannels which are not
insignificant in an image.

I thought I could do it by putting it in my CD-ROM drive, and using
the DOSSHELL file viewer...however, as soon as I put a music disc in
the drive, it immediately plays it and insists it contains no data...
...stevenc

The problem is that there is no "file" to view. Repeating myself: there are no files on a CD-DA.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/