Re: [ARSCLIST] Shipping 78 rpm records and heat

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry McBride" <jerry.mcbride@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I am trying to arrange for the shipment of about 3000 78 rpm records
across
> country using standard house moving companies and am concerned about the
> heat in the trucks at this time of year. I saw the recent post advising
> against this. However, in my own recent move my small vinyl collection did
> not suffer any ill affects. I am wondering what experience people have
with
> this? Are there other relatively inexpensive ways to ship this quantity of
> recordings safely? An air conditioned truck would probably make the move
> too expensive.
>         If the records are properly packed with insulating materials such
as
> styrofoam or bubble pack, would this reduce possibility of damage?
Unlike vinyl records, which can suffer "expansion warp" at higher
temperatures
(which is essentially uncorrectable), shellac records warp (correctably) due
the fact the material becomes soft, and thus flexible, when warm. If the
records
are tightly packed in their containers (a necessity for shipment in any
case),
they cannot bend and thus will not warp. I would doubt that the temperature
inside a truck box would (or could) reach a point where the shellac
literally
melts and begins to flow...