Re: [ARSCLIST] Nakamichi BX 1 Tape Deck

My worry about machines such as this, (and my reason for avoiding them) is
also that parts aren't available. Professional equipment such as the Tascam
112 or the Marantz PMD502 have been made for years with few changes and
parts are hopefully easier to come by because there are thousands of decks
still in service. Nakamichi may have been good in their day, but they were
still consumer equipment and the parts pipeline isn't the same for consumer
equipment as it is with pro, and even that is probably changing with pro
analog gear. If you look at the Nakamichi web site these days it's all car
audio and home "environment" systems. They don't even sell cassette decks.
You think it fits in their business model to continue to make or stock
parts for the handful of 20 year old cassette decks that are still in
service? I doubt it. The dragon may be an exception because of it's azimuth
correction, but I would stay away from all other consumer cassette decks.

David Seubert
UCSB