Re: [ARSCLIST] oscilloscope

Chris,

If you misunderstood Goran and me, then perhaps others did. Please allow me to
claify.

First of all, talking geek to geek, I can't live without a scope.  But a scope
isn't calibrated in dB. It reads peak not rms/average.

Yes, of course, align your azimuth to MRL, check your equalization settings, and
then readjust your azimuth to the source tape.

The point is that the only adjustment you should be doing for every reel (as
opposed to once a day/week) is adjusting playback azimuth to the source tape.
You know  your gains/levels are correct.

A separate topic of conversation is how to run levels for a transfer. One safe
thing to do is to set 250nWb/m for -20dBFS -- and there are good reasons to do
that if you're using 24 bits. But, I wasn't referring to that.

Once I check my tape machines' meters against my Amber 3501 or HP AC Voltmeter,
I then use the tape machine's meters for the EQ alignment. I think a pointer
width is accurate enough considering everything else.

Anyway, we all have different ways of working.

I'm not saying "don't use the MRL."

In fact, when I did the 51 reels of the Mullin/Palmer collection I insisted when
no one could come up with an EQ standard that we use the standard 17.5µs curve
for 30 in/s. It sounded a bit bright, but at that time, no one presented a firm
understanding of what the EQ curve of Mullin's machines was. Tests on the unit
at the Pavek museum in Minneapolis indicated that I needed more HF output, so
we just said "NO!" and transferred at 17.5.

Now I find out that the EQ MAY (and I must repeat MAY) have been either 27 or 35
µs. If that is the case, we can calculate a rolloff differential and "fix it in
post." If I had used an arbitrary EQ for playback (that sounded "right") I
would not be able to aritmetically fix it in post.

I hope that clarifies my position.

Cheers,

Richard
--