Re: [ARSCLIST] oscilloscope

The value given to utilizing an oscilloscope and aligning to an MRL is far too
little here.

Firstly, aligning to an MRL ensures proper functioning of the playback device
prior to performing a transfer. A very important thing indeed, particulary in
the realm of preservation.

Secondly, it provides a point of reference for documentation. If you have to
apply an azimuth or level offset how else do you notate it in a meaningful way
without aligning to an MRL? Noting a +3dB offset in reference to a 7.5 ips, 250
nWb/m MRL gives information regarding the degree of the offset and a way of
backtracking to the source from a digital file or repeating it if necessary.
It's an industry standard reference. Without the reference any notation is
arbitrary and meaningless.

I would argue that

1. It is a must that you have an oscilloscope in your studio.

2. Get an outboard scope. Much finer detail and easier to read. I have a dual
2GHz machine and I still prefer the analog to the software. You can certainly
get by with the software scope but my preference is to have an outboard analog
scope.

Best Regards,

Chris

Chris Lacinak