[ARSCLIST] Cleaning Acetates

I've been piling up oddball Presto Cut discs for a while now and have
figured I'd take a stab at cleaning them and seeing what treasures (or
monstrosities) they hold.  What would be the best thing to use?  I'm
assuming the alcohol based cleaners are out.  I don't' really want to
start the last big argument again but these are thrift store items in
varying conditions so I'm not sure I want to put a whole lot of money or
time into them.  I suppose I'll give them a couple quick needle drops to
make sure it isn't something of great import, so when I find out it is
merely the family Xmas Carols with Sis on the piano and gramps singing
lead I'd be inclined to try a couple different suggestions to see what
works.  I would like to use the Nitty Gritty machine I have if such
vacuum-based cleaning would be advisable, which as I understand from NG
is possible.

I also managed to find a bunch of blanks a couple years back that I've
been holding on to and needed some advice on their care.  All are 10"
metal with acetate (using the term generically) with 1 center hole and a
2nd hole approx 1inch  away.  There is one with blue and white labels for
the "Howard Home Recording Disc" with model info of "Type 10C-Metal
Base-Slow Burning"with 4:15 of playing time.  It was manufactured by the
Howard Radio Co. of Chicago, is about twice as heavy as the other discs
and has a coating that is black like a record.  I also got 7 or 8 with a
coating that is the reddish copper color by  the "National Hollywood"
brand with yellow labels (completely blank yellow with black lettering of
the name, NO other writing of any kind) with a black/yellow checkered
border that I'm assuming is for speed reference.  Of these most came in a
plane paper sleeve, but there were several that did not have the sleeves
and were being stored in a plastic bag.  I removed them and put them in
paper but there was already some damage done.  The ones in paper jackets
are in pretty good condition, the surface is still rather shiny and have
some very light marks you would expect from decades inside a paper sleeve
being handled lightly very occasionally.  There are some very light
little marks from the paper sleeve, handling, etc but none of them seem
to have cut into the surface.  The 2 that were in the bags are not as
shiny and have this splotchy effect across the platter. I'm guessing this
is leaching of the plastic due to heat or chemical reaction so I'm
wondering if it can/should be cleaned or if it will have any effect on
the sound?  What is the proper care and preparation of a blank disc when
recording?  I really don't have any particular project in mind, but I
figured I should get them despite the fact that I don't know anyone with
a machine to cut.  Given that there aren't any new blanks being made, to
my knowledge, I figured I'd snatch them up and figure out what to do with
em when the time came.

I'd like to get a few new 10" sleeves, although I have yet to find any
place in the DC area where I can just buy the 10 or so I need and I don't
really have need for a full order of 50 from Bags Unltd, etc.  Should I
clean them before putting them in new sleeves?  Should I just gently wipe
off the grit and dust with a soft cloth or soft record brush of some
kind?  Any Ideas, useful info, or historical trivia would be much
obliged.  Thanks.  Randy