Re: [ARSCLIST] 11-9000 series Red seal pressings.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David S Sager" <dsag@xxxxxxx>
> I am presently going through a whole bunch of 12" 78s in this series and
> finding anomalies in the run-off area that make me wonder if these
> represent different takes, dubbings vs master pressings or what...for
> example
> Victor 11-9175 (Rob't Merrill) "A side" shows (using the embossed
> "11-9175" as 6:00) a numeral "1" at 9 and 12:00 positions, while another
> copy shows no such characters but does have what looks like "lE"
> followed by a star.  Still, another copy shows the "1" at 9 and 12:00
> but also has a numeral "4" at about 7:00.
> Any insight is most welcome.
The numeral at the 9:00 position of virtually all (RCA) Victors is the
take number. Many Victors which were still in the catalog in the mid-forties
were dubbed and had lead-in and lead-out grooves added or altered, and these
often don't show takes. In 1951, they began showing matrix numbers, and the
take followed by a letter follows that with a hyphen (i.e. E1-xx-####-1C).
I believe the other numbers in the run-out area designated stampers/molds,
but don't have any details...