Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking suggestions for an EQ device.

on 4/8/04 12:46 AM, Brandon Burke at bburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Come to think of it.....if I was to mix with an outboard EQ (as
> detailed in my previous post) and save the subsequent mix as a "save
> as" instead of writing over the working mix then I'd still be in good
> shape right?

Brandon,

There is nothing wrong doing it this way, but in general once digitized, it
is best to keep a signal digital rather than go through multiple D/A - A/D
conversions.  The EQ you mention - the Behringer  graphic EQ is really a
consumer-quality device and not particularly quiet or good sounding . Also
keep in mind that when you use a 31-band graphic EQ, you are always running
the signal through 31 filters, even if you're using only a couple of them.

Instead I would suggest the Metric Halo channel strip which is $345.00.
http://www.mhlabs.com/index2.html (click on Products and then Channelstrip)
This is an audiophile quality plug-in that you can put across the master
fader in Pro Tools. It has a 6-band EQ. Keep in mind that if you buy the
Behringer you will have only 2 channels of EQ, however if you buy a
high-quality plug-in, you can instantiate multiple instances of it for as
many channels as your computer can handle.

--
Konrad Strauss
Director of Recording Arts