Re: [ARSCLIST] Net music piracy 'does not harm record sales'

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> I mean indexes (I *still* want to write 'indices') into a collection by
> title, date, performer, collector, and all other fields which may be of
> interest. Equivalently, identifying and extending keywords to be searched
> where that is the preferable approach. It is one thing to index with cards
> a collection of a few hundred titles. It is quite another to maintain a
> digital database of fifty thousand audio recordings in a variety of
formats.
Having tried both (15,000 3x5 cards, but only about 1500 records so far
catalogued
digitally)...this is my view, based on experience:

The data entry in both cases is essentially the same amount of work. The
digital
process is slightly easier, since most databases can replicate field
entries. In
either case, it is essential the data entry be done by someone knowledgeable
in
the field, so they can avoid obvious errors (or note when they do happen!),
recognize analomies (important in discography) and identify field contents
if
they are not obvious on a given phonorecord.

However, sorting and indexing can be done MUCH more easily and quickly with
digital catalog! For example, creating a query and applying it (a few
minutes'
work) can produce a list of holdings based on, and indexed by, artist. I
spent
about a year creating, and never finished, a set of artist cards listing
sides
by artist and filed in that order. As well, I file my 3x5's by label and
catalog number...to resort them in any other order would take several days!
(and if a cat knocks over a box of cards, they have to be resorted...)

In fact, my idle dream is that someday the C8T and MX files can be expanded
include every known phonorecord...