Re: [ARSCLIST] Examining styli for wear.

At 08:42 PM 4/7/2004 -0400, Sherwin Cerini wrote:
In a message dated 4/7/2004 7:59:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx writes:

so at the modern one to two gram range it probably takes much more than
10,000 hours to show significant wear.

Mike,

How are you able to play 78s with such low tracking force? I have 30 year
old equipment which requires at least 3-4 grams tracking force. Is it your
equipment that allows you to play at a much lower force? If so, which
components of the TT make the difference?

A different Mike replies: It's the cartridge which determines the tracking force you use. I put the appropriate Shure stylus into a V15 Type II (ancient, but still first rate) and one gram is ample in a good arm. Shellac rarely warps, the only situation in which I use more than that to track LPs (with a different stylus of course and a different cartridge by preference).

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/