Re: [ARSCLIST] 4 track reel machines

Steve,

I'm going to give away some of my trade secrets here...

(1) Forget consumer machines. Use professional machines.

(2) Sony APR-5000 machines run natively at 3.75 in/s and have -50% varispeed.
    With three alignment registers per speed per head block, you can have
    a separate alignment for 1.88 in/s playback.

(3) You can also transfer 1.88 in/s tapes at 3.75 in/s into an 88.2 ks/s WAV
    file and then spew it out at 44.1 ks/s. I play the MRL 1.88 in/s test
    tape and then when I'm playing at half speed re-equalize in Samplitude to
    make the test tape flat.

So here you have a way to do it even with a Studer A810 or A807...or A820
should
you be so lucky (Yes, Parker, I know...)

1.88 in/s was never a hi-fi medium on reel to reel. Even Tandberg with
crossfield heads and later models only claimed something like -3dB at 8kHz at
1.88. Now, contrast that to one of the Nak models that a friend of mine
measured out to 15kHz at 0.94 in/s

One other thing...find the narrowest gap play head you can.

Cheers,

Richard

--

Richard L. Hess