Re: [ARSCLIST] 25Hz - 60Hz issues

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard L. Hess" <ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://www.abb.com/global/abbzh/abbzh251.nsf!opendatabase&db=/global/abbzh/abbzh262.nsf&v=23762&e=us&m=9f2&c=b85b46aa2b155615c1256cca005e7fa8

> I didn't do a lot of research, but the new Three Gorges project in China
is
> using ABB DC transmission.
>
> We have two DC lines coming into LA, one from the Columbia River and the
> other from the Hoover Dam on the Colorado River.
>
> Vancouver Island gets its power over a DC link to the mainland.
>
> There is a DC tie between the North and South islands of NZ...
>
> Fascinating stuff. If you're interested in this, be prepared to spend a
> couple of hours on the ABB site. I did a couple of years ago and am
> resisting going back right now.
I can very dimly recall (probably early 1950's) when hotels sometimes had
their own DC generators. I would suppose other places did as well, which
would explain the popularity of AC-DC radios long after DC power was
obsolete.

Were the 32-volt farm power plants DC? I would suppose they were, and
used a battery-based system similar to automobiles? You can occasionally
run across 32-volt farm radios...