Re: [ARSCLIST] vhs thread

In a message dated 2/2/04 4:13:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, goldens2@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I was thinking about baseball songs the other day &checked my New Entertainment Discography to determine if Jack Norworth had recorded Take Me Out To The Ball Game &was surprised to find it not listed.  Assuming that I didn't overlook the entry, or that it wasn't accidentally omitted in the book, does a version by him exist?

What other artists DID do it commercially on acoustic disk or cylinder?

Best,
Shiffy

There are several versions that were recorded in 1908: Harvey Hindermyer on Columbia 3917 (single-faced, 1908). Also issued on A586 (double-faced, 1909) and United A586 (with the enlarged center hole).

Also in 1908 was a version by Fred Lambert on Zonophone 1185 (single-faced) and 5371 (double-faced) and by Edward Meeker on an Edison 2-minute wax cylinder 9926.

The Haydn Quartet did a version on Victor 5510 (single-faced) in 1908 as well.

The next one to come along didn't happen until the electric era in 1929 by the Dan Hornsby Novelty Quartet on Columbia 15444-D. Nothing more until 1938 and then a floodwater of versions.

I have not seen references to Norworth recording the song at all. Interesting footnote: Norworth's first visit to a major league ballpark didn't occur until 1942 when he visited Ebbets Field in Brooklyn.

Cary Ginell
Sound Thinking Music Research
Soundthink@xxxxxxx