Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSCLIST Digest - 28 Jan 2004 to 29 Jan 2004 (#2004-21)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, at 11:08:01 -0600, Parker Dinkins
<parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Date:    Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:08:01 -0600
From:    Parker Dinkins <parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: audio cassettes' hardiness

on 1/29/04 10:21 AM US/Central, Art Shifrin at goldens2@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

As the format nopw exists, recording in only one direction would be
prudent.
But as per my original post, full track & two track would be
preferable.
And, such special format cassettes would be substantially compatible
with
conventional players.

For stereo, the audiocassette format as originally specified and licensed by Philips called for four tracks to ensure mono compatibility. Unlike quarter track 1/4" stereo open reel tapes, with audiocassettes the stereo tracks are adjacent to each other in one direction.

I don't know of any full track mono audiocassette recorder.

I don't know if it's a "full track" head, but for years Marantz has
sold a mono cassette recorder, the PMD-101, presumably aimed at the
newsgathering/spoken word/lecture market...

Here is the page describing it, which I suspect means that it is still
produced by Marantz and available to purchase...

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/
folder.asp?FolderID=1532&CatID=2&SubCatID=137

BTW, does anyone know if this machine indeed uses full-track heads (I
assume one full mono track in each direction)?

dave nolan

Dave Nolan Audio
534 E. 11th St. #14
NYC  NY  10009