Re: [ARSCLIST] audio cassettes

In a message dated 1/28/04 6:45:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Why either/or? Many professionals recommend both a digital archive
together with the original analog format. CDs or DVDs can be "played"
without contacting the information layer, and copies of digital
information retain the same quality as that of the master.

Also, I recall past discussions of hub and other problems with
cassettes.

Jerry

I've done many interviews since the late 1970s; the ones I did on reel-to-reel often have sticky shed syndrome; the cassettes have survived, and although not the greatest quality, sound as good as they did when I recorded them.

Cary Ginell
Sound Thinking Music Research
Soundthink@xxxxxxx