Re: [ARSCLIST] External A/D converter with AES/EBU output

Quoting Chris Lacinak <Chris.Lacinak@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I think it's important to remember two things here.
>
> 1. We're talking about preservation.

I think so...

> 2. the A/D converter is arguably the most important part of the chain in
> digital preservation.

While I don't disagree that the converter and everything in the chain is
important, I strongly believe that the analog playback chain's quality
(including native equipment quality and its proper adjustment to the recording
at hand) is the single most important determinate of final sound quality.

This statement also includes proper preparation of the analog recording for
playback. (I will admit that we've had some really good discussions about disc
cleaning. This is good!)

Cheers,

Richard