Re: [ARSCLIST] CDR media longevity

At 12:54 PM 1/21/2004 -0500, Konrad Strauss wrote:

Most CD-Rs are optimized for high speed recording and perform poorly at 1x.
However, music CD-Rs are optimized for 1x recording. The Verbatim perform
very well, however you will be limited to silver/cyanine discs which are not
considered to be archival quality. I would suggest that you upgrade your
burner to an Alesis Masterlink. This is a hard disc recorder with an
integrated CD burner which runs at 4x. The performance is excellent with
Mitsui gold and Tayio discs.

Excuse me if this suggestion is too simplistic, but given the costs and efforts involved, would it not make sense to use the existing hardware and to accept the fact of real-time capture, then to back up the potentially non-archival discs to archival ones? With two copies, single-point loss becomes improbable, monitoring for losses becomes trivial and the only drawback is making the backup. Since that will be done on a fast drive with readily available media, the overall process may be easier and less costly than doing it 'right' to a single digital record.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/