[ARSCLIST] Fw: Victor and COlumbia

----- Forwarded by Dick Spottswood/dick/AmericanU on 01/02/2004 11:11 AM -----
Dick Spottswood <dick@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: <tlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

01/02/2004 10:59 AM
Please respond to "tlist"

        To:        arsclist@xxxxxxxx, tlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Fw: Victor and COlumbia

Dear Pekka,

       I think that all the uproar about music downloading has made record companies more paranoid than ever, and public access to historical material is the last thing on their mind.  Recent decreases in profits, corporate mergers etc. have also tended to feed the bar-the-door mentality.  Let's hope it's temporary--and let's hope that legislators in the US and elsewhere will begin to understand the problems that denial of access creates. Certainly record companies are for-profit operations, not public institutions, but their increasing control and monopolization over these aspects of our cultural resources is a critical problem that requires legislative action, unless voluntary reforms are forthcoming.

       As I'm sure you know, metal masters were melted down to support the war effort in the 1940s, and many no longer exist.  CBS still has a lot of foreign language masters from the 1920s-30s, but many metal parts for early jazz, blues and country material are extinct, because record companies placed no value on them in the 1940s.

       Thanks for the suggestion of eliminating special characters from an online EMOR discography.  The problem is that I'd then have to go back through the entire text to remove the ones already there!

       I'll circulate this to ARSC and tlist members to see if I can elicit any responses.

Happy 2004,

Dick

Pekka Gronow is an archivist, discographer and record producer in Helsinki.  I'll forward answers and observations to him.

----- Forwarded by Dick Spottswood/dick/AmericanU on 01/02/2004 10:36 AM -----
pekka.gronow@xxxxxx

01/02/2004 09:08 AM