Re: [ARSCLIST] Edison Ediphone

In a message dated 12/9/2003 11:56:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stevramm@xxxxxxx writes:

We are not talking about Kenetophones here, the question was about Ediphones which were basic dictating machines, first with wax cylinders and later with red plastic discs that looked like 45rpm records. They show up in Antique malls all the time and bring very little money. If we are talking about the wax cylinder Ediphones there are separate shavers from the recorders.

The really collectible Ediphone items are the catalogs as well as the advertisig record "say It To The Ediphone".

I have found a use for the cylinder Ediphones.  I remove the record/playback apparatus, as it is of no use for 100 or 200 tpi cylinders.  Then I play my wax and BA cylinders using the mandrel (electrically driven from below the deck) with a specially designed playback arm fitted with a Shure cartridge wired for 'vertical'.  Sounds great, and the mechanism is quiet (and the speed is adjustable).
Don  Chichester