[ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Bluegrass

Anyone care to correct or add to my response?  Thanks, Dick

----- Forwarded by Dick Spottswood/dick/AmericanU on 12/06/2003 06:16 PM -----
Dick Spottswood <dick@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

12/06/2003 05:52 PM
Please respond to Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List

        To:        ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [ARSCLIST] Bluegrass

The word "bluegrass" wasn't applied to the genre until 1953-4.  It was a quick descriptor for music played ala Bill Monroe, whose band name since 1939 had been the Blue Grass Boys.  The North Carolina music of Posey Rorer, the Mainers, Charlie Poole, the Hired Hands and others is a direct ancestor of bluegrass.  Listen to Posey Rorer's not-very-good Edison records alongside the Monroe-Flatt-Scruggs outfit of 1946-7.  The differences should be as clear as the aforementioned difference between Jelly-Roll Morton and Bud Powell.

Dick Spottswood

Mike Loughlin <mikel78_rpm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

12/06/2003 03:41 PM
Please respond to Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List