Re: [ARSCLIST] Unpublished vs. Unissued Recordings

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
> Do we want to spend a lot of email time on this subject?
Given that current technology makes it possible to create sound recordings
in a format that looks exactly like...functions exactly like...and can be
sold exactly like a commercial sound recording; and, as well, that one of
the functions of libraries and educational institutions is to preserve
and make available extant sound recordings insofar as possible (and this
often conflicts with copyright law and/or the desires of the copyright
holders of the material)...it is probably vital that we do so! If an
institution is willed the personal archives of someone connected with
music, and these archives turn out to include hours of sound recordings
never commercially released (and quite possibly played and recorded with
no intent [or even no thought of the possiblity] of commercial release,
do they, as part of their responsibility to the greater public they serve,
make this material available? If so, under what terms and conditions?