From: Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Sound Cards
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:18:53 -0500

At this point, new standards and recommended practices are emerging from
the
Audio Engineering Society and Committee for Preservation and Access or
whatever it's called now.

I expect these will make their way shortly into requirements by the various
funding sources including the major foundations.

Many will probably require require the Broadcast WAV file so metadata
accompanies the audio and 24/96 or 24/192 recording ability.

Sound processed to these requirements require storage media that are not
only capale of holding this data but also be close enough to a standard
format to allow it to be played back worldwide in the future.  I'm not
seing
much on this issue, but the implication is that DVD will be at least one of
the suggested target media.

As you are assembling a new system, you should be aware of all this and how
it affects your choices.

Steven Smolian