Re: [ARSCLIST] Lacquer Disc repair

I beg your pardon.
FB Strauss, DMD

Graham Newton wrote:
john loy wrote:

I have a Acetate disc from 1950.

No... you have a lacquer disc... there's not a spec of acetate in it.  The
composition is cellulose nitrate.

The last 3/4 of the program are in pretty good shape. However the edge is
flaking off pretty bad in spots to the point I'm probably only going to
get 1 play in this particular area so I want to make the most of it.
There are also some chips that are completly flaked off. Does anyone have
any suggestions on how I can temporarily adhere these chips and play what
I can from this section of the disc.

Use paraffin wax to lightly coat the base material of the disc, put the chips
in place, aligning the grooves at either edge.  The wax is easily meltable,
flows well, and can be made into a very thin layer which is necessary to
avoid making bumps in the surface.  They can easily be lifted and
repositioned as many times as is necessary to get it right.  A low power
stereoscopic microscope is a BIG help in doing this, as are used dental tools
that you can scavange from your dentist after he is finished terrorizing his
patients with them!  A hair dryer can warm the disc sufficiently to easily
work the wax.

Dave Radlauer <Dradjazz@xxxxxxx> suggested...

Some people use clear fingernail polish to seal up cracks or to stabilize
chips.

This is not a good idea on a lacquer, or on anything that you DON'T want to
dissolve part of the surface!  Nail polish contains some serious solvents
like acetone and toluene and these will damage a phonograph record surface.
It sometimes can be used to repair a crack by allowing the solvent to "wick"
into the crack and "weld" the two edges, although it will leave additional
noise as the stylus passes the crack.

I'm referring to this from a restoration transfer point of view, and not as
a fix for playing a record on an acoustic record player.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's new CAMBRIDGE processes.