Re: [ARSCLIST] cleaning turpentine on CDs

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

> Thomas Caw wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with cleaning turpentine spills on CDs?

> >  ....... reported to me:
> >
> > > We had a bunch of the "Great Pianists" series returned yesterday by an
> > > art student and several of them have paint on the outer cases, but
> > > a couple had turpentine on the discs themselves.
> >
> > Would isopropyl alcohol help in this case, or is the damage already done?

and Jerry Hartke responded:

> Replace the discs. Cleaning would be of questionable effectiveness.

..... I agree that the student would be liable for a replacement

> chemist would be better able to advise you regarding the effectiveness
> of isopropyl alcohol on turpentine

----- isopropyl alcohol would not remove it, but benzene would (similar to
gasoline, but pure). Benzene would not attack the varnish on the label side,
and the polycarbonate of the disc itself would by now be made in an alloy
that is not susceptible to crazing due to solvents. However, do not use
solvent based paint remover to remove the paint from the outer cases, because
they are made in polystyrene that attacks easily by the solvents in paint
remover. Also, if the art student becomes famous (as opposed to his present
status - infamous) you may be sitting on a fortune.

> Anyway, solvents of any kind, including alcohols, should never be used
> on CD's.

----- now, that is only if you are considering archival matter. This is
obviously a loan collection, so it is worth a try.

----- here, hear!!

> Whatever you choose to do, test first on a disc of little or no value,
> and wait several months before your final evaluation.

----- some of the best results are serendipitous!

Kind regards,

George