Re: [ARSCLIST] environment controls

I would consider retensioning tapes only if storage conditions have not
been good and have varied widely and/or there are signs of tape pack
problems.  Retensioning on a regular basis in many cases will have no value
and in fact may damage tape if the rewinding is performed on cheap
rewinders or equipment that is dirty or not properly aligned.

Joe Iraci
Canadian Conservation Institute

f storage conditions are good and there has not been wide fluctuations in
storage conditions, then I don't think it is necessary to retention tapes
every three months.

                      Jerome Hartke
                      <jhartke@MSCIENCE        To:       ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                      .COM>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [ARSCLIST] environment controls
                      Association for
                      Recorded Sound
                      Discussion List
                      <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx

                      23/10/2003 10:29
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      jhartke

Holly Dzyban wrote:

> Has anyone been involved in setting up a
> temperature/humidity-controlled environment for storing audiocassettes
> and CDs?
>
> I am trying to set up an audio archive in a relatively underfunded and
> poorly housed program. In this theoretical archive, we will have
> roughly 5000 CDs, a few hundred cassette tapes, VHS videotapes,
> digital video tapes...and MAYbe reel-to-reels. We've got a basement
> facility with cinderblock walls, standard ac/heat and exposed pipes.
>
> I know I'm going to have to find grants or sell my internal organs
> to get a decently housed archive going, so I'd like to know what I'm
> getting myself into.
>
> Wiha

Slightly cool and slightly dry should do it. 41-77 degrees F and 20-50%
RH is acceptable. 50 degrees F would be optimum. Avoid sudden changes.

You may need a dehumidifier for certain times of the year. Buy a good
measuring instrument to find out. Cheap, hardware store humidity gauges
are worthless.

Initial, as-recorded quality is more important than a precise
temperature and humidity condition. Regular retensioning of the tapes is
important. Every three months would be desirable.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.
http://www.mscience.com/