Re: [ARSCLIST] Where to find NTSC Color Bar and sound tones

Aaron wrote:

> Talk to any European, other than the French (they're, as usual, a special
> case), and they will tell you that their PAL (Phase Alternating Line)
system
> means "Perfection At Last". Then ask him/her about how he/she can stand
the
> 50 Hz flicker in the picture (the US rate is approx. 60 Hz) and the
response
> will be "What flicker?"

Well, there's one Englishman here who wouldn't agree with you, though I know
most would.

Shopping around recently for a new TV, and finding that there was no
alternative but to buy widescreen these days, I discovered 100Hz sets. OK,
they are not perfect - you get some pixelation at times - but the one I saw
gave an utterly different picture from all the 50Hz sets around it that I
had to have it. It was the same sensation I got when I saw my first DVD
after watching VHS.

And, of course, we can get ever so superior about our 625 lines...

I do hope non-US members are allowed on here, because the archived postings
I've seen look fascinating.

I'm a librarian, by the way, working in Plymouth, England.

With best wishes

Chris

--
Chris Goddard