Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSCLIST Digest - 14 Oct 2003 to 15 Oct 2003 (#2003-238)

At 02:02 PM 10/16/2003 -0400, Dave Radlauer wrote:
In a message dated 10/16/03 8:52:09 AM, LISTSERV@xxxxxxx writes:

<< I am digitizing a pack of tapes and LPs and would like to just set the
> (Windoze) computer to recording the analog audio and not worry that I'll
> forget to turn recording off and suck up the whole hard disk.  >>

DigiDesign ProTools, including Pro Tools Free Version can do this.  One
selects (highlights) a track area, say 30 min, so that it is
highlighted.  If you
start recording with the area selected, pro tools will automatically stop when
the end of the highlighted area is reached.  ProTools calls this feature
"bounded recording."  Other programs may do this in some similar fashion.

Please note that *nothing* will record analogue audio to a digital computer. Since the computer is able to store only digital data, the analogue signal must be digitized before it can be recorded. The parameters of digitizing are selectable, depending on the program used.

As I understand the question, the source is not a file or any other digital
source (e.g., the data stream of CD-DA). Therefore the range capabilities
of Exact Audio Copy or of "Pro Tools" would not apply.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/