Re: [ARSCLIST] last-minute filers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louise Spear" <louises@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 11:33 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] last-minute filers

> No, it's not tax time...but we are fast approaching the deadline for ARSC
paper proposals!  For the convenience of all last-minute filers, I am
pasting below a copy of the Call for Papers.  The Program Committee looks
forward to hearing from you--via email, regular mail, or fax!

> ARSC-SAM Joint Conference
> Cleveland, Ohio
> March 10-13, 2004
>
> Call for Papers and Presentations
>
> ARSC invites submissions of program proposals for our 38th annual
conference.  Since we are meeting earlier than usual and coordinating our
program with the Society for American Music (SAM), proposals are needed at
an early date.  Please return this form (or a photocopy) by September 30,
2003.

> Papers, panels, and demonstrations on all aspects of recordings and
recorded sound are welcome.  By meeting with SAM, we have a special
opportunity to share our expertise in discography and discographic research,
record labels and manufacturers, archiving, and the preservation and
reproduction of recorded sound.  Ways in which technology and the recording
industry affect music and American life would be of interest to both ARSC
and SAM members.

> We encourage presentations that focus on recording activities in Cleveland
and Ohio.  Considering Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and
the rich heritage of ethnic music in the area, we seek talks on popular
music, rock, blues, folk, and related genres.

> SAM welcomes proposals involving any aspect of American music or music in
America and suggests that papers could be inspired by the Rock Hall, the
sesquicentennial of John Philip Sousa's birth, the question of theorizing
American music studies, or by collaboration with ARSC members.