Re: [ARSCLIST] Optical Groove Digitization

LC is a big place with room for differing opinions. James may be right
about 2-D, but maybe not, and many of us see several reasons to pursue
both 2-D and 3-D mapping. Two offices at the Library of Congress are
working actively with the Berkeley group to refine and improve 2-D as well
as 3-D.

Sam

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, James L Wolf wrote:

>   Just wondering. Once the processing and storage capabilities for 3-D
> modeling of a groove arrive (10+ years?), wouldn't it also be possible
> to model a "perfect" stylus for that groove and create a result from
> their ideal virtual interaction? Would this be the best way to extract
> info from a groove?
>    From what I recall of the lecture at the Library by two guys from
> Berkeley who are working on something similar to the folks on the web
> page cited, creating a 3-D map of a groove doesn't require anything
> physical to be placed in the groove (if that's what you mean by a
> probe), just two linked "cameras" to plot the coordinates of each point
> of the groove. But it takes a hell of a long time. I think with current
> hardware and technology it takes a couple days to 3-D map a 2-minute
> cylinder, maybe more.
>    But 3-D is the only way to go. Jon Noring is absolutely right; 2-D
> is a waste of time. It only reads the edge(s) of the bottom of the
> grove, the results I've heard  (under relatively good listening
> conditions) were really poor, and vertical grooves are impossible, so
> there's no point in messing with it, except maybe for emergency
> preservation of broken laquers or something similar.
>
> James

> Dear All,
>     I agree, and must add another dimension to solving this problem -
> my
> twopennyworth! The only practical way to do a three-dimensional map of
> groove (whether hill-and-dale, lateral, or stereo) is to use a test
> probe
> controlled by a digital device of some sort. However, there is no
> anti-aliassing filter for the data. Therefore the wanted sound is going
> be corrupted by an enormous amount of aliassing, and ultrasonic
> components
> will become "folded down" into the audio spectrum.
>     The fundamental idea is a good one, but I'm afraid I cannot see how
> get around this problem - *except* by playing the groove with a stylus
> and
> having an anti-aliassing filter *before* the result(s) are digitised.
> If
> anyone can think of how to conquer that, it *would* be a good idea!
> Peter Copeland

Samuel S. Brylawski
Head, Recorded Sound Section
Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division
Library of Congress
Washington, D.C.  20540-4690
E-mail: sbry@xxxxxxx
"Usual disclaimers apply"