Re: [ARSCLIST] Optical Groove Digitization

  Just wondering. Once the processing and storage capabilities for 3-D
modeling of a groove arrive (10+ years?), wouldn't it also be possible
to model a "perfect" stylus for that groove and create a result from
their ideal virtual interaction? Would this be the best way to extract
info from a groove?
   From what I recall of the lecture at the Library by two guys from
Berkeley who are working on something similar to the folks on the web
page cited, creating a 3-D map of a groove doesn't require anything
physical to be placed in the groove (if that's what you mean by a
probe), just two linked "cameras" to plot the coordinates of each point
of the groove. But it takes a hell of a long time. I think with current
hardware and technology it takes a couple days to 3-D map a 2-minute
cylinder, maybe more.
   But 3-D is the only way to go. Jon Noring is absolutely right; 2-D
is a waste of time. It only reads the edge(s) of the bottom of the
grove, the results I've heard  (under relatively good listening
conditions) were really poor, and vertical grooves are impossible, so
there's no point in messing with it, except maybe for emergency
preservation of broken laquers or something similar.

James

>>> Peter.Copeland@xxxxx 09/24/03 08:43AM >>>
Dear All,
    I agree, and must add another dimension to solving this problem -
my
twopennyworth! The only practical way to do a three-dimensional map of
groove (whether hill-and-dale, lateral, or stereo) is to use a test
probe
controlled by a digital device of some sort. However, there is no
anti-aliassing filter for the data. Therefore the wanted sound is going
be corrupted by an enormous amount of aliassing, and ultrasonic
components
will become "folded down" into the audio spectrum.
    The fundamental idea is a good one, but I'm afraid I cannot see how
get around this problem - *except* by playing the groove with a stylus
and
having an anti-aliassing filter *before* the result(s) are digitised.
If
anyone can think of how to conquer that, it *would* be a good idea!
Peter Copeland