Re: [ARSCLIST] Pitching and Equalization of 78s

Jon-

I am surprised that "pitching" is being suggested ex post facto as the
proper procedure for doing a 78 transfer. The reasons are as follows:

1.The 78 is the only format that varies considerably from the stated
number
of revolutions per minute. In fact, as you probably know when the 78
was a more prevalent format among audiophiles(1950-60's) many high-end
pre-amps
like the Marantz 7-C had specific eq curves that were tailored to the
playback curve of a particular era or even a particular label!

2. I have never heard older recordings become so natural and
mellifluous as when they
are played back through a system that is tailored to the distinct
playback curve of that era.
Likewise, when you hear a "78" that is played back on a variable pitch
turntable with the
specific speed that the record company employed the entire experience
changes. The slightly
chirpy, sharp artifacts disappear entirely and in its place is a far
less antiquated sound palette.
This is akin to watching Keystone Cops films and we laugh at the
racing, silliness of the action;
this too is a result of the fact that the modern film standard of 24
fps was not employed at that
time, but modern film projectors do not allow one to compensate for
this analogous discrepancy.

3. The final reason is that the algorithms which are used to achieve
this pitch change simply
speed or length.
There is no way that I am aware of that does this in a way that does
not damage to the resultant
file. In short it does not remove the samples in a way which is
sensitive to the music in question.
When you do this on a turntable this remains a constant stream of
information, no data is lost when the
pitch is changed. Essentially doing ananlog pitch change is a lossless
change, whereas pitch change in
the digital realm necessitates a "lossy" algorithm.

4. For these reasons I believe that (with the exception of the Weiss
EQ-1) a really fine analog(Sontec)
EQ with an excellent turntable turning at the exact required playback
speed  will in general reveal far more musical results
than attempting either eq or pitch changing in the digital domain. I
think it is unlikely to change in the near future.

Mutatis mutandis,

aa