Re: [ARSCLIST] Scanning LP covers

On 11/08/03, Elliott Hancock wrote:

> I have been told that album covers were never copyrighted. I am not a
> lawyer and the person who provided the information is not a lawyer,
> just a folklorist with an incredible memory who has very rarely been
> wrong when used as a resource. It would be nice to have some
> confirmation but I would settle for the true legal position on album
> cover copyrights.

Surely any design, artwork or photograph is automatically copyright?

The only question is whether the copyright belongs to the company (which
is the case if the work was done to order) or to the artist (which is
the case if the photograph was taken independently and later published
on the cover).

Regards
--
Don Cox