Re: [ARSCLIST] Scanning LP covers

  For much of our iconographic collection that goes to publication,
standard photography is used, direct from duplicate prints or negs, or
photos shot on a copy stand for flat paper, such as movie posters and lobby
cards. This can also be done horizontally with a tripod and easel. You might
want to shoot with a good camera setup, and them have the images put into
the desired digital format for publication by your processing lab, they can
put many images on a cd-r for you at most photo stores and even drugstore
photo counters these days, if desired. Maybe this too involved for your
purposes.
 Many lp cover images as also downloadable from the internet, from music
pages and ebay and others, but quality may be hit or miss depending on their
methodology, but it would be cheap and easy.

Robert Wasserman
Wisconsin Historical Society Archives

Dear friends:

For a discographical project, I need to image several hundred LP covers. I
currently own a flatbed scanner, but it can only take up to 8 1/2" x 11"
originals. I  need adequate, not tremendous, resolution and color depth.

I would, of course, like to accomplish this task while spending the least
amount of time and money possible! If anyone has found a scanner large
enough to accomplish the task without breaking the bank, that would be one
option. Second, it's occured to me a digital camera heldl in a special
stand with appropriate lighting might be the other way to go. Suggestions
welcome!

Best,

Joel

Joel Bresler