Re: [ARSCLIST] Bolero by Ravel the definitive version?

On 07/08/03, Russell W. Miller wrote:

> Ravel chooses a slow tempo in his recording, as does Coppola. Even in
> Ravel's day there were conductors taking the music much faster than
> the composer liked; on 78s these were the three-sided versions, such
> as Koussevitzky's. As I recall (but I don't have a copy of it here to
> check) Paray's version is one of the fast ones.

He takes 13:24, Monteux takes 15:20, Toscanini (1939) 14:16.

The Monteux seems to me to be one of his few failures, but the other
Ravel music on the same CD is excellent.

> For a recording in
> modern sound that adopts a slow tempo like the composer's, I'd go for
> Skrowaczewski and the Minnesota Orchestra on Vox, in excellent 1970s
> analog sound.

That should be good - he is an underrated conductor. Bargain price too.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx