Re: [ARSCLIST] Bolero by Ravel the definitive version?

Dear Mr. Levinson,

This recommendation will be controversial, but I'd suggest Piero Coppola
(Victor M-793 / HMV W-1067 - 8). Coppola consulted Ravel in connection with
recording his music and says that he tried to follow the composer's advice.
Second, I'd try Ravel's recording, made at about the same time, remembering
that Ravel was a reluctant conductor who did not feel well qualified. Most
other recordings have problems of tempo, however effective they may be or
how much better one may like them (I like Coppola's the best of any).

Richard Warren