Re: [ARSCLIST] Bolero by Ravel the definitive version?

On 06/08/03, Aaron Luis Levinson wrote:
> I was wondering whether anyone on this list might be able to steer
> in the direction of any performance of this work that is considered
> the benchmark upon which other are judged? I am a neophyte
> in the "classical" world and any help would be appreciated.

I don't think there is much problem here, because the Bolero is not a
"deep" work that requires subtle interpretation, so any competent
conductor with a good orchestra should be able to give a good
performance.

My suggestion would be the version conducted by Paray, on the Mercury
label. Mercury recordings are generally very clear and realistic,
although some have a trace of tape hiss. The rest of the disc is other
music by Ravel and some by Debussy.  It makes sense to listen to a good
French conductor in this repertoire.

Pierre Monteux would be another French conductor to hear in Ravel and
Debussy (and in Beethoven, Brahms and Elgar). His later recordings on
the Decca and Philips labels are in good stereo sound.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx