Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio (delayed AGAIN!)

In a message dated 7/25/2003 1:26:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> As well, I buy old tapes (r-2-r and cassette) whenever they turn up cheaply
> at
> thrift stores and yard sales; oftentimes they contain
> airchecks, sometimes
> accidentally made!
> Steven C. Barr

Some of us will remember the AFM strike during the mid-'40s.  I have discovered through the years that many folks purchased disc cutters during that period, and recorded songs off-the-air for parties, dances, etc.  From time to time I come upon these acetates (lacquers) in 8", 10" and l2".  Unless they are marked "So and so's Birthday" I pick them up.  I have been often pleasantly surprised by an aircheck of Kay Kyser, Miller or some other pop band.  Usually they are in good shape, unless the cutter was misaligned.
Don Chichester