Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital audio on video

Steve,

They were undoubtedly recorded with the Sony F1 system. If you play the tapes back on a standard monitor, you should see a series of modulated bands. Convertors are generally still available (I think we have one or two kicking around that I'd be willing to sell cheap).

Getting reliable playback from the VHS tapes can be a little tricky, however. The F1 doesn't like to see too much variation in the time base, which is notoriously bad on VHS. I would also recommend putting the deck into black & white mode, which sometimes helps with spurious garbage confusing the processor.

I used this format during a brief period on a few projects, and while it served it's purpose, I was glad to see it go by the wayside.

--Scott

--
Scott D. Smith
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Steven Smolian wrote:
I have a group of VHS videotapes that were, apparently, used as the media for live digital audio-only recordings.  This is VHS, not BETA.  The recordings fall into the 1989-1993 period.

Any ideas as to how I can identify what recording system  was used and what equipment would play these back?

Steve Smolian