Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio (delayed)

In a message dated 7/18/03 4:53:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The problem is that in most cases newspaper articles are researched to trace
>  either trends or series of events...so that having every third (or
whatever)
>  day would be worse than useless in research!

The reason I am fascinated by archives is the ability to relive or imagine
what it was like to live at that time. The mundane daily events are of the most
interest for this.

In 1956, after school each day, on my brand new tape recorder, I recorded the
hourly five minute New York Times news bulletin from WQXR. I accumulated
several reels of tape at 1-7/8 "/sec with the thought that this would be of
interest "someday."

Years later, older and wiser, I realized that no one would want to listen to
old news programs and reused the tape.  Now I wish they had been acetates,
because I would really like to sit back and relive those events that were of such
importance in my formative years.

I've often wondered if an archive of these broadcasts, or even transcripts or
scripts, still exist anywhere,

Mike Csontos