Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

I’m interested in locating as many of the original electronic transcription (ET) disks, and other media of old commercial radio and news broadcasts.  Do you know of anyone else doing this?

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas Edison
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 2:54 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

I stil have a problem with digital storage, and electronics in general for long term perservation.  Hard drives last about 3 years and are worn out. caps and resistors have a limited life,  not more than 30 years. However if the sound is perpetuated around the globe, well then at least the sound survies somewhere.  I have problems with all the eggs in one basket, and thus the distribution to the masses makes them live that much longer. and the sound can be perserved on a stamper or galvano, as some call them, which can be in itelf durable and playable, 16" 33rpm stamper maxtix. one should make a negative and a positive one.  However:   The North American Phonograph Co. already has  a pubically acessable archive that anyone  can listen and purchase archived sound. Project Borri Records , by Mike Loughin, and Shawn Borri  in connection with Edison National Historic site, the Smithsonian and other archives  Is to ! make turn of the century music, and ethnological culter avaliable to all.  I hope you find this as exciting as I do.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/30/78rpm.html

Do you Yahoo!?