Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> There's no argument here, but having all without preservation or indexing
> accomplishes little.
Agreed that the indexing is important...and keep in mind that the indexes
themselves must be indexed once they reach a certain size or complexity!
This, however, is where digital developments are important...since this can
be done much more easily by computers. In my view, the indexing should be
done in some sort of simple format, that is NOT program-dependent (I think
it is probably a safe assumption that the 128 characters we know as ASCII
will be a standard core component of digitalia as long as THAT exists!)

As far as preservation, there are two aspects to this: the first being the
preservation of the artifacts themselves, and the second being the
preservation
of the information they contain. The second is the more important, as the
preservation of the artifacts may not always be possible on a long-term
basis.