Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

> The problem is that ever since multi-track recording became standard (and
> even
> before--see below) there is no definitive and final commercial version
> of a recording, at least as long as the tracks still exist! You can have a
> hit song, and then later have a "dance remix" intended for a different
> market.

Hello, Steven,

I don't disagree, and I think that's consistent with my definition
of "release" than one version was "released" into the market. All need to be
archived and preserved.

There are complexities--for example, South Pacific -- I forget now if it's
the OBC or OST recording,  but there have been several reissues and the
current version on CD is audibly inferior to the previous version, although
it has more "extras."

It is not an easy thing to decide what needs to be archived--more is better
until the entire proposition collapses under its own weight.

Cheers,

Richard