Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

At 08:57 PM 6/27/2003 -0400, Mike Csontos  Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:

I know of no way to put this material into any sort of database where it will be maintained by IT professionals. Is anyone establishing an "audio cemetery" where digital archives will receive "perpetual care"?

The only thing I don't like about your cemetery analogy is that it implies death. Once the asset is in, what I prefer to call "permanent digital archive" under "perpetual care" of an IT department it will be ready for easy access, rights willing.

What we need is a societal will to preserve this and fund it. It is NOT a technological problem any more. It is a societal/political/organizational problem (choose the word that best fits your image).

I like audio CD-Rs DESPITE Jerry's warnings as they are likely to last longer without intervention than your flawed 25-year-old tapes, players will be plentiful for the foreseeable future, and they can be "ripped" to data files at faster than real time.

I don't think audio CD-Rs are the be-all and end-all, but they are the most likely to be easily playable in 50 or 100 years.

The fact that our early media is so robust is a tribute to the engineers who developed it and also an artifact of the early tools and requirements. Obviously, people were focusing on other parameters when your tapes-in-need-of-baking were developed and manufactured.

If the anecdotal story I've heard is true, 3M used their tried-and-true red barn paint as the basis for the early magnetic tapes.

Cheers,

Richard