Re: [ARSCLIST] cylinder records

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

I have a preliminary brief comment on the wax composition for cylinders:

> I want to introduce myslef to the list.  I am Shawn Borri, from
>The North American Phonograph Company.

> 1901-02 The Edison brown wax fomula, with the addition of zinc and copper
> salts, and carnauba, lampblack resulted in the greyish hard moulded record
> composition. Later in 1904 Ebonite replaced carnuba.

----- I find it very unlikely to have Ebonite replace Carnauba wax, because
Ebonite does not have a wax-like quality at all. It is vulcanized rubber,
with a very much higher sulphur content that which will make e.g. tyres.
Ebonite in itself is so strong that it could be a cylinder material in its
own right (it was a flat Berliner record material for a time)

Kind regards,

George