Re: [ARSCLIST] shellac and acidity

  Regarding shellac, I also agree. But for vinyl is there consensus that
acidic sleees do cause damage? I've opened 25 year-old sealed LPs with
what looks like severe scarring where the sleeve was folded over and
pressed against the vinyl. I haven't been able to study it more closely
but I assume that damage is being done.

James

>>> info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 05/28/03 08:47AM >>>
I agree with Kurt entirely. I have retrieved records from all sorts of
conditions; I have never come across anything I could identify as
"acid"
damage.  Shellac discs are, as Kurt says, amazingly robust, and I have
just
unboxed a large number of discs in albums which have completely
disintegrated and which are completely covered in a thick layer of
white
mold (10 years lying on damp earth!).  A quick clean and the discs are
as
good as new.  My cleaning methods are not "as recommended" by any
means, but
after 20 years I have not seen or heard any deterioration in any record
so
cleaned.

Stephen Sutton
Director