From: Marie O'Connell [mailto:Marie.OConnell@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 8:49 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Sony PR-150 squeal

Hi Richard -

I've generally had great success with baking a tape for at least 12
hours at 50c but failing that I have resorted to using isopropyl alcohol
as a lubricant.  In my early days I would sit with 2 cotton tipped
sticks dipped in "iso" but this was time consuming plus hazardous to
health and so you would need to wear the appropiate face masks.  Also
you needed to have an extremely steady hand.  Hence, I came up with my
isopropyl drip bag and a suitably adapted Otari (Mark I version) and
later Studer (Mark II version) which would drip the iso at 6 droplets
per minute for almost trouble free, hands off reproduction.  Worked good
for me!

If you would like to see some photos feel free to email me.

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist
Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage
University of Southern Mississippi
P.O.Box 5175
Hattiesburg
MS, 39401-9406