heard and I wouldn't want to try it.

Cheers,

Richard

At 02:27 PM 5/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:
Hey Richard,

Try fast torwarding the old tape while holding the spinning tape between 2
cotton balls.  This may sound crude, but it may dislodge enough oxide to
allow you to make a clean transfer. You may attempt
to some "baking" 30 minutes at 150-175F (no plastic reel).  For more info on
baking tapes try this site:
http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html

Best
Leslie Winter

From: "Richard L. Hess" <ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Sony PR-150 squeal
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 02:12:46 -0700

Hi folks,

I've got a reel of Sony PR-150 in from a client with some music that's
important to him and his family.

It's squealing, but not shedding like Ampex 456.

It sounds like loss-of-lubricant as much as sticky shed.

Anyone find a good treatment for Sony PR-150 tape--it's one-mil polyester.

I'm pretty sure it's what's in the box--it's on a sony reel and it's limp,
thin tape. Limper, IIRC than the same thickness Maxell.

I'd also like your ideas for lubrication of tape. I've sent out some
private feelers in this regard. The Last Factory Tape Head Treatment works
for all of about 30 seconds in the last two attempts to use it...but once I
treated the whole cassette in 30-second increments, it played with only 2-3
stops the second time through. It seems the tape just wicks up the
lubricant.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard